Updated: November 13, 2018. This is an up to date list of key apps for Shopify.
Speed Boostr makes Shopify sites load faster, but we’re also ecommerce nerds! We love experimenting and finding the best Shopify apps, especially when it comes to automating sales and marketing.
After working with hundreds of Shopify stores and testing countless ecommerce marketing techniques, I’ve compiled a master list of the best Shopify apps for automated marketing and easy growth.
- Automated Marketing
- Social Proof
All of the apps here are proven to generate a positive ROI and save time and money, so let’s get into it:
1. AUTOMATED MARKETING
Automation is probably my favorite topic in ecommerce marketing. There’s a beauty in setting up a good foundation and generating automated sales forever.
Snappic – Instagram and Facebook retargeting on autopilot.
Tip: Use the code EASYMONEY to get $50 off your first month with Snappic.
That’s an actual screenshot of a store I work on getting a 4.7x ROI on ad spend. For reference, that’s with about 12,000 monthly visitors.
- Easy way to increase sales, conversion rate, and customers
- Runs on autopilot
- Gets smarter over time as it learns from your audience
Remarketing / retargeting is key because most customers need to interact with your brand multiple times before purchasing, and most visitors won’t convert the first time. Remarketing solves this by reminding about you after they leave your site (usually on Facebook, Instagram, or the web).
With Snappic being well integrated with Instagram, you can use your actual Instagram posts as retargeting ads, so you get those great lifestyle images instead of plain white background product photos.
Price: $99 – $199 plus a % of ad spend.
Free Trial: 14 days
Code: EASYMONEY to get $50 off first month.
Bonus: Snappic guarantees the app will pay for itself (app fee + ad spend).
*Snappic works best if you’re doing around $10k/mo or higher in sales, or if you’re gearing up with more marketing to drive traffic.
If you’re a newer store or Snappic isn’t a good fit, here are 2 apps that can help with retargeting at lower (or any) levels:
- Recart – Retargeting with Facebook messenger, abandoned carts, push notifications, and messenger engagements.
- Perfect Audience (see below) has mobile, web, and Facebook retargeting. You’re charged as you go rather than a set monthly fee.
Both of these apps can be used in addition to Snappic too, I just like Snappic because it’s so easy and works well.
Perfect Audience is a powerful retargeting solution for multiple platforms. It’s not a Shopify app, but an excellent marketing tool for any website.
- Advertise on the web to your lost customers
- Easy to setup, but also has powerful in-depth features and analysis
- Retarget to multiple ad networks on the same campaign
Perfect Audience covers your web retargeting and more. Use Perfect Audience for web and Snappic for social media retargeting, and your site will be an efficient net capturing easy sales on autopilot.
Send out automated abandoned cart email sequences and watch your customers and sales increase.
- Pre-designed email templates that you can customize and have sent out in time intervals
- Can include discount codes or free shipping to win the sale
- Get conversion and history details, so you can set up tests and hone in your abandoned cart strategy
Here’s a real life example of the trackable metrics to see the app working to get you more sales:
Free Trial: 30 days
If you don’t have abandoned cart emails set up, you’re leaving money on the table.
Performance optimization often needs expert analysis and specific code changes, but apps help can automate some tasks.
Crush Pics automatically compresses your website images to make your site load faster.
- Automatically compresses your product, asset, collection, and featured article images
- No quality loss if you choose “lossless” compression
- Faster website = higher conversions, SEO rankings, engagement, traffic, and revenue
Crush Pics is a quick win to make your site faster, improve your SEO rankings, and increase engagement and conversion rate.
Images are generally the heaviest part of a web page. You can manually compress them (boring), or you can just install Crush Pics to automatically handle it for you (and any future images you upload).
Bonus feature: You can also mass update your image “alt” attributes and file names to make them more SEO friendly.
There’s a free version, but for most stores it’s worth it go with a paid plan ($5/mo) to compress more images automatically.
A faster website improves most of your key metrics, so investing in improving your speed is an easy positive ROI.
If you want a tutorial for setting this up, check out our Shopify image compression guide.
3. SOCIAL PROOF
People like seeing other people using your product. Social proof is a great way to increase your conversions while building community around your brand.
Judge.Me is the best reviews app on the market. It’s packed with features, built with performance in mind, and easy to set up automated systems.
This is a must have app for every Shopify store.
- Easily create automatic review requests, featured review carousels
- Can incentivize more reviews and repeat purchases by including discounts
- Includes SEO rich snippets so your ratings show up in Google search results
Judge.Me has too many features to list – it’s a super powerful reviews+ app that increases engagement and breathes life into your store with reviews and questions/answer features.
I’ve personally been watching this app grow over the last few years from a small reviews app to a feature-packed, speed optimized, well designed go-to Shopify app.
It’s insanely low priced, has great support, and you can easily import reviews from anywhere.
Price: Free for basic, $15/mo for all features.
Covet Pics is an Instagram and shoppable gallery app for your Shopify store. It’s also powerful enough to automatically show Instagram images from your customers on your product pages.
- Automatically pull in Instagram feeds into a cool widget
- Create galleries based on hashtags (great for product pages)
- Add social proof by showing customer pics with your products
An A/B test study from Taktical Growth Hacks showed that product pages with customer Instagram photos showed a 24% increase in people reaching checkout.
Covet Pics is the easiest way to set up customer IG photos on your product pages.
To see our full guide on Covet Pics, you can read our Best Instagram App for Shopify post.
Price: Free for basic, $29.99 to get the plan with automated product page galleries.
Refersion is an easy to set up full-featured affiliate marketing platform.
Referral programs give you social proof, backlinks (great for SEO), and no-risk referral traffic. They also build community by connecting with people that vibe with your brand.
- Create an army of affiliates promoting your brand and linking to your website
- Create unique discount codes for affiliate promotion without links (for Instagram influencers, for example)
- Analytics and dashboard software for you and your affiliates
Set up an affiliate program easily with Refersion, then start connecting with affiliates that vibe with your brand and products to create an automated inbound marketing channel.
Price: Starts at $19/mo
To further automate this, scroll to section 2 in this automated marketing strategy post to see how I use Refersion with a VA to find influencers and shopping lists, then invite them to the program.
Get people interacting more with your site and closer to making a purchase. Increased engagement and page views also helps your SEO.
Limespot makes it easy to insert product carousels like related items, trending, popular, etc.
- Increase engagement and conversion rate
- Responsive carousels that get smarter with time
- Increase average order value and revenue
Trackable data: the app includes a graphic dashboard that shows Limespot driven clicks, conversions, and sales.
It’s free until it starts generating actual sales, and at that point it’s a small percentage of your sales, easily paying for itself many times over.
Sumo is an email list builder app and suite of marketing tools.
- Lots of email list building options, including A/B testing to optimize your capture funnel
- Features like “spend $X more to get free shipping” that increase average order value
- Contains a suite of apps like share buttons, exit intent popups, cart abandonment recovery, etc
Popups work well, and since only about 1% – 2% of your traffic is likely converting to customers, you want to capture your audience for future sales by funneling them to your email list.
Sumo gives you analytics, marketing tips, and apps to increase your sales and build that valuable email list.
Price: Free plan with limited features, $79/mo for the full features and ecommerce order increase tools.
Marketing is all about experimenting, and there are a lot of great apps out there to help your journey. The key is to always be experimenting with new marketing apps and tactics.
I’ve been working with Shopify since 2012, and voraciously continue the pursuit of collecting the best apps for improving Shopify businesses.
As a Shopify Partner and affiliate with some of the apps listed, Speed Boostr may receive a commission if you sign up from these links. Every app here is recommended in confidence because it has a proven positive ROI and adds value to Shopify stores.